25 Series to Read if you LOVE the Hunger Games!

*Update 4/2* The new “must-reads” list is now up! Check it out!

25 Books To Read if you Love the Hunger Games!

Today is a much awaited day. It’s the day The Hunger Games premieres in theaters! Who’s going to see it?? We are! In honor of this wonderful day, we thought we’d give suggestions on books you might enjoy if you enjoyed The Hunger Games. To help you know a little bit about each book and how it might be similar to The Hunger Games, we’ve taken several elements from the book to use for comparison.

Here are the categories:

• futuristic- It takes place in a continent (either North America or fictional) in the future.
  • survival- Characters must learn how to survive in rough circumstances- primarily the wilderness.
  • love story- Characters show interest in one another that unfolds through the novel.
  • adventure packed- Each chapter leaves you going *gasp* and you HAVE to read the next one, only to find that it ends in the same manner.
  • contains a revolt- Something isn’t right with the government, and they’re going to do something about it.
  • girl protagonist- The main character or the one the story is following is a girl.
  • series- Contains more than one book.
  • YA- These books are written and marketed for young adults (approximately ages 10-20).

The Books: (In descending order, beginning with the best matches.)

The Giver by Lois Lowry
Jonas is a young boy living in a Utopian town.  Everything is perfect where he lives.  When children turn 12  they are assigned a job, so when Jonas turns 12 he is named the next  ‘Giver’ .  This job changes his life because it opens his eyes to things about his society and its past.  Jonas faces difficult choices about his future and the future of his people.
survival- yes
love story- yes (later in series)
contains a revolt- yes
girl protagonist- no, but yes in later books
series- yes, 3 books total
ya- yes, Reading Level 5.9

The Uglies by Scott Westerfeld
Tally and Shay are two teen girls growing up in a society where they are “Uglies” until the age of 16. Upon your 16th birthday you undergo an operation that makes you a Pretty. Through many adventures, decisions, twists, and turns the character uncovers truths about the current world she lives in and the people she is governed by.
series- yes, 4 books total
ya- yes, reading level 5.1-6.1

City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau
Ember is a city of darkness lit only by lamps where the people live off food kept in storerooms. When the lights they use continue to flicker and the shelves of food become empty it makes survival impossible. It will only be a matter of time before the life they know is over. Young friends Doon and Lina are determined to find a way to help their people survive.  Read Lena and Doon’s adventure of how they try to bring hope to their city!
survival- yes, from hunger
love story- an affection story, wouldn’t call it love
adventure packed- yes
contains a revolt- somewhat in some parts
series- yes, 3 books + prequel = 4 total
ya- yes, level 4.9-5.2

Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix
Imagine you live in a country with strict population laws. Only two children per family. What happens when you are the third child? What will you do?
survival- somewhat
love story- no, strong friendships
contains a revolt- yes
girl protagonist- each book contains a different protagonist. Some are girls, some are not!
series- yes, 7 books total
ya- yes, levels 4.8-5.6

Found by Margaret Peterson Haddix
Jonah discovers one day that his life is not what it appears to be. Not only is he adopted, but he belongs somewhere else entirely! The journey begins when he receives a note saying “You are one of The Missing.”
love story- maybe?
girl protagonist- no
series- yes, 4 books total
ya- yes, level 4.6

Dark Life by Kat Falls
Ty, the main character lives with his family in the world’s first subsea community, where they provide fish and other food for the citizens of North America’s remaining communities on land. Ty is swept up in an unexpected chase for bandits who are out to get take everything from his family. He learns more about people he thought he knew, and in return they learn more about him too!
girl protagonist- no
series- yes, 2 so far
ya- yes, level 4.3

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
Percy, a teen boy finds out he’s a half-blood and later learns that his destiny involves having to make a choice of whether or not to save the world. He takes along 2 friends with him to fight creatures (and Gods!) from Greek mythology hidden among our world. Will he and his friends have what it takes to complete the incredible mission they have been given?
futuristic- no
survival- yes, trying to save the world
love story- yes, slightly
adventure packed- yes
contains a revolt- yes, against the Gods
girl protagonist- no
series- yes, 5 books total
ya- yes, level 4.1-4.7

Peter and the Starcatchers by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson
This is Peter Pan before he becomes Peter Pan. Find out how he became able to fly. How does he know Wendy? Each book is a new adventure (yet building on the last) and equally as good as the last.
futuristic- no
survival- yes
love story- contains hints at one
adventure packed- yes
contains a revolt- yes, against the “Others”
girl protagonist- told from Peter’s point of view, but there is a girl main character
series- yes, 4 books total
ya- yes, level 5.2-5.6

PEAK by Roland Smith
Ok, this book does not have as many yes’s. BUT it is an awesome book, so much so that we couldn’t leave it out. If your favorite elements of The Hunger Games were survival (in the arena) and adventure, then this is a good pick for you.
futuristic- no
survival- yes, in wilderness in the mountains
love story- no
contains a revolt- no
girl protagonist- no
series- no
ya- yes, level 5.0

Here are some more great books that we’ve heard have commonalities with The Hunger Games, but unfortunately we haven’t read yet. We look forward to reading:

Did we leave any out? What books would you recommend to Hunger Games lovers? Have you read any of these? What did you think? And what do you think of the movie!?!

*Update 3/29* We have really enjoyed reading all of your comments. There is no way we could have read and recommended every book series that qualifies as “Hunger Games-like.” But thanks to all your comments, we’ve discovered a few more! There’s been such a response that we’ve decided to make a new post: “Must Reads if You Love The Hunger Games.” We will add all the books you recommend, so get those comments posted. To make it easier for people to select their books, in your comment tell how your book is comparable to The Hunger Games using the 8 categories we used. Have your comments in by Saturday the 31st and we’ll have the new and improved must-reads list up by Monday! Happy reading!

*Update 4/2* The new “must-reads” list is now up! Check it out!

sister signatures

You might enjoy...

Comments

1. What about the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson :-)

2. so many great ones and a few that I haven’t gotten to yet. I am the biggest Divergent fan on earth I’d love you to add this to my Hunger Games link party

marissa

• omg. I just finished Divergent yesterday, and couldn’t believe the second book isn’t out yet. I don’t know what to do with myself now! haha

• Help! I am lost without a new series to read! What is ‘Divergent’ about??

• it is amazing i found it 2 years ago i read the first 2 books twice now and then realied there was a third and had to wait for it to come out it was a long wait. i’m going to get it a recording and for car rides to do it again. its about a girl who lives in a distopia (antiutopia ) and has to choose a faction. there is love,betrayl, action, i think if it was a movie it would be jus as popular as hunger games.

• It is NOW! Just finished Insurgent and I’m STILL thinking about it. Loved it! I’m going back to read Divergent again!!

• Divergent and Insurgent are probably the best books I’ve read in a long while! The third book isn’t suppose to be out until like next year ( which is ridiculous but oh well) and I’m like you at that point lol. I can’t wait until the next book comes out! :)

• Loved it! I also loved Insurgent. Can’t wait for book 3!

• I read Divergent in one sitting and discovered Insurgent was out while waiting for flight at DFW…finished it in one sitting (without buying it!!!) Sorry Walden Books

• I am DYING for book 3!!! Just look at my Pinterest! I have my own Divergent board!!! Ps you should read the mortal instruments: city of bones… But be warned it is HIGHLY addictive!!! <3

• I just figured out today that the third book isn’t out yet makes me so upset i just started reading divergent yesterday and already feel this way!

3. Tiffany, says:

I have read quite a few of these, just finished listening to Cinder, didn’t think I would like it, but think again…Divergent-amazing….Birthmarked made me fall in love with falling in love again (there were some themes in the second book that I don’t agree with, but still can’t wait for the third book)!

4. I’ve read The Maze Runner trilogy – it was great. I’ve also read the first 2 in the Matched trilogy – 3rd isn’t out yet. Loved the first book, second wasn’t as good. And I’ve read The Graceling and the second book Fire – very, very different, but really liked them both. Bitterblue is the 3rd of that series that I need to read. I’d recommend all 3 series to HG fans.

5. the maze runner is an awesome book and i also loved the uglies series! both worth reading!

6. Birthmarked is AWESOME! And the sequel, Prized…is even better! Also love Divergent.

7. I could not be more excited about this list! Few on here on my to-read list, few I will have to add. And to help you out:
    Divergent
    Futuristic: yes
    Survival: yes
    Love story: yes
    Action-packed: yes
    Contains a revolt: yes
    Girl protagonist: yes
    Series: yes, this is book #1, book #2 comes out May 1!!
    YA: yes, not sure on the reading level.
    One of the best books I’ve ever read!

8. You might want to add Delirium by Lauren Oliver. There are two out now and I think it is a triology.

9. what about some classics like 1984 or Brave New World. I enjoyed those in some of the same ways as the hunger games, though it has been quite a while since I’ve read either one.

10. How about Enders Game? Loved that one!

• Enders game is great. Apparently there are two books following it too. I haven’t read them yet so I don’t know much about them.

• There are actually several Ender books. Some follow Ender himself and then some star others in Ender’s world, such as Bean. Ender’s Shadow takes place the same time period as Ender’s Game, but is told from Bean’s point of view. Personally, I have only read Ender’s Game and Ender’s Shadow and both were really good. I always say Ender’s Game is my fave sci-fi book.

• smartwentcrazy1018 says:

The entire Ender & Shadow series is fantastic! When I read Hunger Games, I kept thinking about how much it reminded me of Ender.

• I hadn’t even thought to add Ender’s Game. I guess I wasn’t thinking because it is one of my all time favorites!!!

• Joan Sizemore says:

I have seen an article about the Enders’ Game movie that will be out in 2013. It is also a dystopian theme. One of my all time favorite books.

• Indranyx says:

Yes! Ender’s Game is one of my favourite books! There are so many books in this series. I’ve read most of them and the rest aren’t as “Hunger Games-esque”, but the first book definitely is. The later books, when Ender is grown up, focus more on philosophical themes, but are still just as riveting.

futuristic- yes
      survival- yes, both in school and saving the human race
      love story- no
      contains a revolt- no
      girl protagonist- no, but there are two strong supporting female characters
      series- yes
      ya- yes, unsure of reading level

11. Emily Carter says:

you missed maximum ride by James Patterson

12. John Murphy says:

Thats alot of Chick books, How about the halo books by eric nylund, Song of ice and fire by George rr Martin, you like survival books Patriot and Survivors by Wesley Rawles, THE ROAD and LUCIFERS HAMMER!!!! you like Female Empowerment? Read Anne Bishop’s Black Jewels. But hunger games is not a survival book.

• How can you say that Hunger Games is not a survival book? The whole series is about survival, keeping from starving to death in District 12, surviving the games, and even surviving the revolt!

• Indranyx says:

You, sir, have awesome taste in books. Not sure if most of those qualify as Young Adult books though, which I think this list was trying to stick to. If the political upheaval and characters having to make hard decisions where there might not be a “best” choice were things you really liked about the HG then I highly recommend A Song of Ice and Fire and The Black Jewels books.

• Yep, probably ’cause we’re chicks! But we’re always looking for great books to suggest to our husbands. Thanks!

• The Road is fantastic.

• Kerry O'D. says:

LOVE Bishop’s Black Jewel series! I’ve read the original trilogy more than a dozen times. Highly recommend it!

13. Wither by Lauren DeStefano is a good one too!

14. Kellie Reyes says:

The Giver series, by Lois Lowry, a must read for all!!

• Sadie Mae says:

I just got done ready The Giver series, I really enjoyed them, but I must say the author really left you hanging at the end of the book.

15. Natalie Baron says:

The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood. Not a series, but amazing book. It is for an older young adult. I read it when I was 17-18. But absolutely amazing. It does have some common themes (futuristic world, revolt), but more adult.

16. Delirium by Lauren Oliver should totally be on this list. The second book in the series, Pandemonium, was just released Feb. 28, 2012.

17. I would suggest Ender’s Game and the Shadow books as well by Orson Scott Card. They are futuristic, sci-fi books that have a great action packed story with them.

18. Unwind by Neil Shustermann and the Pack by I’m not sure if the author

• amen to Unwind…love that book!

• Add another vote to add Unwind to the list. Great book!
      Futuristic: yes
      Survival: yes
      Love story: yes
      Action-packed: yes
      Contains a revolt: yes
      Girl protagonist: yes (one of three)
      Series: no, but I hear they are making a movie out of it
      YA: yes. reading level??

19. 1984
    &
    Stephen Kings Dark Tower Series

20. Thank you so much for posting this!
    I’ve been reading to one of my classes, and this is the resource I’ve needed to pick what’s up next!

21. My 11 year old son and I both love Divergent. It reminds me of the Hunger Games but has it’s own unique story line. The second book in the series comes out in May it’s called Insurgent. Highly recommend!

22. the pendragon adventures!

23. I just read Wither last night by Lauren DeStefano. I really enjoyed it. I would recommend it for maybe 15 and over. I read it in 6 hours it that tells you anything. :)

• Wither was an excellent book!! I read the second one (Fever) not too long ago and I can’t wait for the third one to come out!

24. Today I bought the entire series of The Luxe by Anna Godbersen. I’m only a couple of chapters into the first book but my 17 year old niece loved them. I would also highly, highly recommend the Mortal Instruments series. I loved them and so did my 11 year old son. He read the entire series thus far in seven days. The author is Casandra Clare. There’s 4 books in the first series and the fifth is due out in May. There’s also a prequel called Infernal Devices and there’s two of them.

25. Three to add to the list:

Enclave by Ann Aquirre is another great book that will be a series.

Eden by Keary Taylor is pretty incredible, however it is not a series.

Delirium by Lauren Oliver is really good. The second book, Pandemonium, just came out, but I haven’t read it yet. It will be a trilogy.

26. Might want to check out the “Witch and Wizard” series from James Patterson. I haven’t finished all of them, but what I read was good and kept me turning the pages.

27. I would have to say Enders Game by Orson Scott Card is a classic. They are turning this book into a movie that will be released next year. For YA it is a must read! Not a love story unless you as a reader want to fall in love with the main character Andrew (Ender) Wiggin!

28. Yall need to add “gregor the overlander” series. Its also by collins and in my opinion (gasp) better than the hunger games. I hated the 3rd book of HG until the epilogue, There I said it! And theres 5 books in the series! more to love. I agree about the “mortal instruments” (but only the first 3 books) as well as clare’s other series “clockwork”. And you can never go wrong in recommending HP although its in no way similar to the Hunger Games but still excellent.

29. Just found The Underland Chronicles by Suzanne Collins and loved them. I had no idea she had written a series before Hunger Games, but this one won me over. The Protagonist in this series is a boy, the first book is Gregor the Overlander and I would recommend them to anyone. I would say it’s written for a younger audience than the Hunger Games, but I’m 25 and I really enjoyed them.

30. A little known, but AWESOME series, is the “GONE” series by Michael Grant. They are so good! I HIGHLY recommend them! And of course you can’t forget the “Mortal Instruments” series. I guess this one is more of a series about witches and demons and hunter etc, not dystopian societies, but it’s still an excellent series! Thanks for this list! It just added to my HUGE booklist!

• Indranyx says:

YES! Grant’s “Gone” series! It has everything but the female lead! Great series.
      While I REALLY love The Mortal Instruments, in my opinion it isn’t similar at all in theme. Yes, it’s action-packed and amazingly well-written and will keep you up way past bedtime, but I just don’t see it as having the necessary elements to be on a Survival/Dystopian book list.

• I know that the Mortal Insturments wasn’t dystopian, and I DID mention that in my post, but neither is any of the Percy Jackson books, but that’s on the list. I just thought I would mention it because it IS such a good series.

• For sure! It doesn’t HAVE to be dystopian to qualify as Hunger Games-esque. There are so many other elements to the HG than that. And we posted mainly to suggest other page turners, not perfect matches!

• Gone series, amazine! I’d have to say when a children are wielding weapons and foraging for shelter and food because every adult is “gone” thats survival. Very Stephen King SciFi young adult like writing.

31. The Insider series by Maria V. Snyder.

32. Brittany says:

Pure by Julianne Baggott. Very good. I am so sad the library in my town does not have the second in this series called Fused.

33. Carrie Ryan’s
    The Forest of Hands and Teeth (first book)
    The Dead Tossed Waves (second book)
    The Dark and Hollow Places (third book)
    Great trilogy!

• yes i love the forest of hands and teeth trilogy. it is so good i love how all the books combine. lovely writing by carrie ryan

34. A fantastic book that also follows along with the Hunger Games is The Pledge by Kimberly Derting. I could not put this book down.

35. I am Number Four
    Pictus Lore
    futuristic- modern
    contains a revolt- yes
    girl protagonist- yes in later books
    series- yes, 2 books 2 e books and another on the way
    ya- yes

Matched

futuristic- yes
    survival- yes- more in second book
    love story- yes
    adventure packed- yes more in second book
    girl protagonist- yes
    series- yes, 2 books and the 3rd in Nov.
    ya

After reading Matched and Crossed I think I am going to re-read the Giver. I havent read it in years.

• Awesome! I (Julia) just bought Matched! And I never read The Giver! (gasp! I know!) I was one of those realistic-fiction-only kind of girls, so when I started reading it in elementary school, I put it down and said, “It’s too weird.” My best friend still hasn’t forgiven me for it! I’ll read it though! It’s just I have too many books to read now. I mean look a this list and all these comments!!

• Rachel Olsen says:

I just picked up the Giver today :) I read it in Middle School, but that was a long time ago, and I didn’t know I was a Trilogy till today :)

• Rachel, I (Leslie) was in the same boat as you! When I read all three a couple years ago, it totally turned me on to futuristic books! Gathering Blue & The Messenger are great too!!! :)

36. … I’ve already read the enttire Percy Jackson series (thumbs up), Found & it’s sequels (the first couple were pretty good, lost interest during the fourth one), and Maze Runner … I probably need to space out dystopian novels, they can be draining, at the end of that series I was just wanting it to end … Ender’s Game (thumbs up, just gave it to my son to read) and as mentioned above Gregor and the Underland Chronicals! Also Fablehaven (5 books) …

37. Hi Ladies….Thank you for the 25 Series post! Unrelated question…how did you make the “Follow [your name] on Pinterest” buttons? Where/How can I customize my own? Thanks,
    Jen Jones

38. Teresa Federspiel says:

I like The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare. The first one was City of Bones

39. The Chaos Walking Series by Patrick Ness. The first book is called The Knife Of Never Letting Go.
    ya- yes, unsure of reading level

40. I just finsihed the first two books in this series (The Line and Away) and cannot wait for the next book to be released.

The Line – Terri Hall
    survival- yes
    love story- one is starting in the first two books
    ya- yes

41. Great list! Thank you so much!

42. Most of the books by Tamora Pierce were great. I love to reread them now and then.

43. Life As We Knew It isn’t really as dystopian as some of the others. If you want dystopian, you should also consider the Witch & Wizard trilogy by James Patterson. For another post-apocalyptic semi-dystopian novel, Rot & Ruin (followed by Death & Decay) by Jonathan Maberry also fit the bill. Yes, there are zombies, but they are both fast-paced, humorous, and touchingly human books. You get horror, romance, survival, and futuristic characteristics. I don’t know anything about a third book, but there’s sure to be one. Will definitely appeal to a cross-over audience – much more of a “guys’ read” than Delirium and Matched.

44. What a fun post! I love so many of these books and agree with the additions to the list (especially Delirium and Matched). I might also add Ashes by Ilsa J. Bick. I really loved it and it definitely fits into this criteria. The only problem was the impossibly-high cliffhanger at the end, but the story was so good, it was worth it. (And the next book comes out in Sept this year.)

Thanks ladies!

• Thanks! I (Julia) just bought Matched yesterday at our scholastic bookfair at school! I’ll have to wait to read Ashes till the next book comes out, I don’t think I could handle waiting for it!

45. Variant, by Robison Wells. Excellent and fits the Hunger Games genre. A second book comes out later this year, Feedback.

46. the Uglies series has got to be one of my favorites (Specials is my top pick, which is surprising since it’s the last of the trilogy, not counting Extras). They need to make THOSE into movies :O

47. What about GONE by Michael Grant?

48. You should add the Tomorrow When the War Began series by John Marsden
    Fantastic, action-filled adventure about what would happen if another country invaded Australia. I’ve never shared the first book with a person who doesn’t come begging for the sequels right away.

futuristic- not really, except that it could happen in the future
    girl protagonist- yes!
    series- yes, 7 books, and three more in the Ellie Chronicles.
    ya- yes

49. Can’t believe no one has mentioned Blood Red Road by Moira Young (Dustlands trilogy)!! Dystopian, STRONG female lead, and yeses to everything on your list!! Even more action-packed than The Hunger Games—AMAZING!!!!!!!

50. Gone By Michael Grant:

Futuristic: Kinda
    Love Story: Yes
    Adventure: YES
    Contains A Revolt: Yes
    Girl Protagonist: Several
    Series: 4 out now, One coming April 3rd and 1 more coming later.
    ya: YES.

51. What about Delirium and Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver. It’s supposed to be a trilogy.

52. The Tripods Trilogy by John Christopher (The White Mountains / The City of Gold and Lead / The Pool of Fire)

futuristic- no (but really yes. You have to read to figure out what I mean by that)
    survival- yes
    love story- there’s first attraction, but not love
    adventure packed- yes
    contains a revolt- heck yeah!
    girl protagonist- no
    series- yes
    YA- yes, level 6.1

• Lisa Downey says:

The tripods trilogy is from the 1960s….I think this is where dystopian sci-fi made the transition from adult lit to YA…but note the lack of female protagonists…interesting to see the sims and diffs between now and then.

53. I second Delirium and Pandeominum by Lauren Oliver. I personally like them more than Hunger Games
    Futuristic: Yes, and it’s a dyspotian society like H.G.
    Love Story: Yes, a love triangle, my favorite!
    Adventure: YES
    Contains A Revolt: Yes
    Girl Protagonist: Yes
    Series: Yes, 2 out now. 3rd one out in 2013.

54. His Dark Materials (The Golden Compass was the first book) is one of the most amazing series i have read. YA fiction, female protagonist, somewhat love interest, not futuristic per se, but….other-worldly.

• i was waiting for someone to say this. i reread these books a lot. just don’t watch the movie. i’m also glad that ender’s game was mentioned and i might add a wrinkle in time.

55. Phillip Reeves’ Mortal Engines quartet – just AMAZING. Have read the first novel to my class of 10yr olds, several of whom promptly went out and bought the set:

contains a revolt- 2 cultures fighting
    girl protagonist- 2 out of 3 protagonists, and very different characters !
    series- yes, quartet,
    ya- yes, prob slightly younger than Hunger Games

He is also writing a prequel series called “Fever Crumb” – the lead protagonist is female – 3 books in and 4th being written as we write…
    Thanks for this list ! WIll be perusing for academic purposes (not personal at all, oh no !!)

56. There’s also the Leviathan Trilogy by Scott Westerfeld. Also fab !!
    Futuristic: Alternate steampunk reality
    Love Story: Yes
    Adventure: YES
    Contains A Revolt: Yes
    Girl Protagonist: yes
    Series: trilogy
    ya: YES.

57. You must add the Mortal Engines Quartet by Philip Reeves. I read the first book to my class of 10/11 yrs olds, several of whom promptly went out and bought the series.
    Futuristic: Yes
    Love Story: Yes
    Adventure: Yes
    Contains A Revolt: Yes
    Girl Protagonist: 1 in whole series, several others in separate books- and very different characters
    Series: quartet
    ya: Yes, poss slightly younger than HG.
    He has also written a prequel series called ‘Fever Crumb’, which I personally don’t think is as good but….
    Futuristic: Yes
    Love Story: Yes – male/female in first 2 books, 3rd book hints at a gay relationship
    Adventure: Yes
    Contains A Revolt: Yes
    Girl Protagonist: Yes
    Series: 3 out now, 4th book being written this year
    ya: Yes.
    Great list, thank you !!

58. Elizabeth says:

Here are a few more to consider:
    The Water Wars by Cameron Stracher
    Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi
    Nomansland by Lesley Hauge

59. Jocelyn Niedziela says:

I know I missed the deadline to be included but there is another series that I feel readers that like Hunger Games would enjoy. It is hard to find in the US (it is from the UK) but when I ordered on Amazon I got all 3 books for less than $10 including shipping from the UK.
    Wind on Fire Trilogy by William Nicholson.
    Kestrel, her brother Bowman and their friend Mumpo set out to find the voice of the Wind Singer. This leads to a chain of events that continues in the next two books.
    * futuristic – there is no reference to the time period that this takes place in. It does take place in another land, Aramanth
    * survival – The three main characters have to survive through many trials to get to the final story.
    * love story – This is not a love story in the normal sense but rather a story of amazing love between twin siblings and their family
    * adventure packed – There are continual trials that Kestrel, Bowman and Mumpo must face and they grow up more with each trial
    * contains a revolt – the Trilogy starts out with Kestrel fighting against the government system of constant testing to prove a person’s worth and that is just the beginning
    * girl protagonist – Kestrel Hath is the main character of the book. Her brother Bowman is the other main character throughout the series
    * series – 3 books total – The Wind Singer, Slaves of the Mastery, Firesong
    * YA – yes

60. Wow, this list is great! One I might add for the more adult (or older young adult) demographic is “The Handmaid’s Tale” by Margaret Atwood. It is futuristic, and has a female protagonist, and a revolt–but sadly, no love story. Still, if you are interested, it is a fantastic read and a book that will stay with you for a very long time.

If you want to hear my thoughts on “The Hunger Games” film, check out my blog! :)

61. Haley Hobratschk says:

I’m doing my Master’s Dissertation on YA Dystopian Fiction. This post was so helpful! One I would definitely recommend, especially for readers of Divergent and Birthmarked is Delirium by Lauren Oliver.
    Futuristic, Survival, Love Story, Rebellion, Girl Protagonist, YA…. it’s got it all.

62. Maximum Ride Seriies, Eragon Series

63. C Adams says:

I have not read the Hunger Games yet but based on what I read on the post I think the Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead would be a good one to add

64. bjkless says:

Delerium series by Lauren Oliver. Awesome. yes’s to ALL of your criteria

65. kphunter says:

I saw that someone else has already mentioned Fable Haven, and I must second that. The first book starts off a little slow but it turns into a phenomenal series(5 books)! And probably my favorite series ever is Skullduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy. Both of those are more along the lines of fantasy and not really futuristic but very enjoyable and meet the rest of your other criteria. Oh, and in case you didn’t know, Percy Jackson has a “sequel series” called The Heroes of Olympus, which so far is 2 books, but there are more to come.

66. mandyjoe12 says:

I haven’t read all the comments, but I would highly recommend “The Hallows Series” by Amanda Hocking. There are only two books so far, but they are great! YA, easy reads with a girl protagonist, etc.

67. I hope these authors appreciate all the free press!
    Excellent shares!

68. This is a great list – thank you! Now I know I’m not the only adult who enjoys reading young adult fantasy :)

69. Black Hole Sun and Invisible Sun, both by David Macinnis Gill, are also great!

70. Thanks!! I will definitely be checking these out. I actually have read The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan series…and I thought it was really intriguing. Great list! :)

71. Ashleigh says:

Great list and excellent additional suggestions by other commenters. Of course, anything by Ray Bradbury is spectacular. One, somewhat lesser known (at least by people who aren’t his fans), is the Halloween Tree. That’s a great one. But of course 1984 and Fahrenheit 451 are wonderful.

On your list, you say you look forward to reading “Incarceron.” I would say that “Incarceron” is good, but the sequel is really sub-par. There are quite a few holes in plot, particularly toward the end. There’s also a lot more character development in the first book than the second. The characters read a lot more wooden and a lot less interesting in the second book than the first, almost as if she lost her direction. The climax and conclusion are more inevitable than exciting. It’s not a bad read, but it wasn’t as good as I expected and if you had to eliminate something from your list, I would say that would be it. I definitely had to re-start the book a second time to finish it.

72. Stephanie says:

Life as We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer was great! There are 3 book in the series. The first 2 have different main charecters, centering on the same event and in the final book it all comes together!! Great read!

73. I liked Incarnate by Jodi Meadows, such an interesting idea. I’m not sure if anyone mentioned it..

74. Heather says:

Great list but you are missing “The Outlander” series by Diana Gabaldon. The best! When I have time I read them over and over!

75. I liked The Sword of Heavens series by Richard S. Tuttle, The Morcyth Saga by Brian Pratt, and just finished Dannika Dark’s Magera Series. But my favorite is the Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon – the only books I have ever reread!

76. Other books/ series I’d recommend:
    The Hatchet – Gary Paulsen
    My Side of the Mountain- Jean Craighead
    Arrows of the Queen – Mercedes Lackey

77. Downburst by Katie Robison. It’s the first in what will be a trilogy. It just came out this year. It’s really, really good.

futuristic- no
    love story- yes
    adventure packed- yes–more so than most books I’ve read
    contains a revolt- not quite
    girl protagonist- yes
    series- yes, the other 2 have not been released, but it will be a trilogy.
    ya- yes

78. I just read Angelfall ( Penryn and the End of Days) by Susan Ee and really liked it.
    It is intended to be the first of a series of 5, and hopefully the second will be out soon.
    Futuristic – yes
    Survival – yes
    Love Story – yes
    Adventure – yes
    Revolt – yes
    Girl Protagonist – yes
    Series – yes
    YA – yes

79. The “Study” series and the “Glass” series by Maria V. Snyder.
    Emotionally damaged, fierce, strong women. Outwitting and outsmarting those in power. The kind of girl I always wanted to be. Loved the books. It’s geared to YA but the story and character appeals to me.
    Futuristic – no, more alternate
    Survival – yes
    Love Story – yes
    Adventure – yes
    Revolt – yes
    Girl Protagonist – yes
    Series – yes
    YA – yes

80. I would also add The Reapers Are the Angels by Alden Bell.
    Futuristic- Yes. 25 years after the zombie apocalypse
    Survival- Yes. There are shuffling zombies to watch out for, as well as rogue encampments of survivors, most of whom are friendly enough, but not all.
    Love story- No, not so much, though there is a sex scene and a dating scene
    Adventure packed- Yes, though it’s slow and building, not fast-paced
    Contains a revolt- Not really. Humanity is far too emaciated to revolt, though there are cells who want to rise up and reclaim their territory
    Girl protagonist- Yes, and a strong one
    Series- No. There is a definite ending.
    YA- Yes, probably ages 17+

81. Also, I would feel awful if there were no nod to Battle Royale, which is always mentioned as the original Hunger Games.

82. The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare is another good one for lovers of The Hunger Games trilogy! :)

83. Jen Pace says:

Life as We Knew It is awesome!

84. Not a series or futuristic but The Book Thief by Markus Zusak is fantastic and in the spirit of standing up for what you believe in.

85. I heard Starters by Lissa Price is Hunger Games-ish.. here is what Amazon says. “In the future, teens rent their bodies to seniors who want to be young again. One girl discovers her renter plans to do more than party–her body will commit murder, if her mind can’t stop it. Sixteen-year-old Callie lost her parents when the genocide spore wiped out everyone except those who were vaccinated first–the very young and very old. With no grandparents to claim Callie and her little brother, they go on the run, living as squatters, and fighting off unclaimed renegades who would kill for a cookie. Hope comes via Prime Destinations, run by a mysterious figure known only as The Old Man. He hires teens to rent their bodies to seniors, known as enders, who get to be young again. Callie’s neurochip malfunctions and she wakes up in the life of her rich renter, living in her mansion, driving her cars, even dating Blake, the grandson of a senator. It’s a fairy-tale new life . . . until she uncovers the Body Bank’s horrible plan. .

86. The delirium book series should definitely be added to this list!!!!

• I have this in my stack of books by my bed it’s up next in line to read I can’t wait. Although I am reading insurgent right now so it has a big act to follow!!

87. The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan is a great series! I loved the hunger games and there are a lot of the same themes in these books. If you have the chance I would definitely suggest The Lightning Thief. Rick Riordan is also in the process of writing a couple of other series that are both entertaining as well. They are the Kane Chronicles and Hero’s of Olympus!

88. Thank you for this list and post. I keep referring back to it as I finish a trilogy. I just finished the Uglies and liked it but Matched and Loren Legacies were better. I hate when I have to wait for another book to come out though!

89. The Lighting Thief having no protagonist?! What about Annabeth?
    Great list!

90. Gwendolyn Phelps says:

What’s a good series to read if you hated ‘Hunger Games’?

• Rachel Olsen says:

Hahahaha!!! I actually didn’t like them the first time either :) My friend insisted that I listen to them while I took care of my other responsibilities (house and kids) and I enjoyed them more.

I liked the Matched and Pretties series, but they are a bit young.

91. “Among the Hidden” is a wonderful series. Love it! Margaret Peterson Haddix also wrote “Just Ella” and “Double Identity”, which are terrific books. Both have girl protagonists.

92. After seeing this post, I read Divergent in a day and a half, and Insurgent (the second book) the following day. I could NOT put them down! Can’t wait for the next book, and I also read Summit picked up Divergent to make into a movie, although we have to wait till 2015. I (can’t believe I’m saying this) love this series more than Hunger Games. Also I read the Birthmarked series, also very good…Thank you! Now I need to find another series…

• Try The Lorien Legacies there are three books: I am number four, the power of six, the rise of nine (which is not out yet)

93. Divergent is amazing!! The first book I have LOVED since loving the hunger games. I am not reading insurgent (2nd book in the series) and can not wait for the third to come out!!!

Also have read the Elevength plague didn’t like to, not a lot happens. The matched series is ok (third isn’t out yet) I liked the first then the second was a little boring but I liked it enough to want to read the third.

The Lorien legacies should be on the list-I am number four, the power of six, the rise on nine (which is not out yet)

94. Try the following by Margaret Atwood:
    Oryx and Crake
    The Year of the Flood

The 3rd book in the trilogy is not out yet, but these 2 are pretty good, especially if you liked the mutts from THG.

• I don’t know if it was mentioned earlier but the Handmaid’s Tale by Margarat Atwood was very good. A little slow to start but enjoyable.

95. Jessica says:

Matched by Ally Condie is a great trilogy. I read Crossed (the second book) in three days. It answers “yes” to all of the categories. I love this series and can’t wait for the third book to come out in November!

96. Great list! How did you create that poster?

97. Love this list….thank you. I have not seen anyone mention The Pellinor series by Alison Croggon. Great female protagonist and adventure throughout all 4 books. 1. The Naming
    2. The Riddle
    3. The Crow
    4. The Singing

98. From this list I decided to read the maze runner. It was amazing.. I highly recommend it.

99. Sarah E. says:

LOVE this thread! I’d like to add my two cents: The Forest of Hands and Teeth, followed up by The Dead Tossed Waves, by Carrie Ryan. Post-apocalyptic, Survival, Adventure, zombies, government gone wrong, little bit of love story, just all kinds of gems in this series. Not sure if she plans on doing a third for that or not but the ending left room for it. Also Wither and Fever by Lauren DeStefano- Awesome post apocalyptic series with a little more of a scientific feel. Love the aspect of the forced polygamy in this, its a theme that you don’t see often and the dynamic is very interesting.

100. I don’t know if this was mentioned, but the Hush,Hush series is excellent. It is a very easy and addicting reading.

101. Oooh some great suggestions by you guys and the readers! Loved the Rot & Ruin and Dusk & Decay…can’t wait for the next one in October! Loved Forest of Hands and Teeth…I’m about to read the next. Birthmarked was really good too…also about to read the next. The Life as We Knew It series was OK…I liked the single book 10 Seconds After better…maybe just because I read it right before and it was kind of similar.

102. Brittany mcclure says:

Divergent= best book I’ve ever read!!! Can’t wait for the third book to come out!! Does anyone know when that will be happening? But seriously, an absolutely amazing book and this is coming from a teenager

• Insurgent is the second books it’s already out. If you get on goodreads.com and search for Veronica Roth divergent series it has the third book it’s untitled but it says when it will be out. I think it’s not till 2013???!! Ugh forever away!!,!

103. I would add Janine Spendlove’s War of the Seasons series to this list. The first book, “the human” came out last year, and book 2 “the half-blood” is due out this month.

104. Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
    WORLDS KEPT THEM APART.

DESTINY BROUGHT THEM TOGETHER.

Aria has lived her whole life in the protected dome of Reverie. Her entire world confined to its spaces, she’s never thought to dream of what lies beyond its doors. So when her mother goes missing, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland long enough to find her are slim.

Then Aria meets an outsider named Perry. He’s searching for someone too. He’s also wild – a savage – but might be her best hope at staying alive.

If they can survive, they are each other’s best hope for finding answers. (Synopsis from Goodreads.)

survival- yes
    love story- yes, but it isn’t the main focus
    adventure packed- yes, especially towards the end of the book
    contains a revolt- yes, inside the Pods.
    series- yes, 1 book out, 2 more to come
    ya- yes, but I’m not sure what reading level you would call it.

105. Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet but The Darkest Powers Trilogy and the The Darkest Rising Trilogy both by Kelley Armstrong are great books. Not sure if it fits exactly into all your categories and it is not really like Hunger Games but it is still my favorite series I have read(and i love Hunger Games) and i think that if you love Hunger Games or similar YA novels you will love these series.

Darkest Powers
    futuristic- .no, modern times
    survival- sorta of characters go on the run at the end of book 1
    adventure-yes but more so in the later books
    love story- Yes though not really in the the first book
    contains a revolt- sorta of but until later books
    girl protagonist- yes
    series- Yes, 3 books and the characters are set to reappear in book 3 of the Darkest Rising Trilogy
    YA- yes

Darkest Rising
    futuristic- .no, modern times
    survival- yes but not until book 2
    adventure: yes but again more so in book 2(book 3 is not out yet)(
    love story- a little bit
    contains a revolt- not in book 1
    girl protagonist- yes
    series- Yes, 3 books in the trilogy but 3rd boo does not come out until April 2013
    YA- yes

106. The Muirwood Trilogy by Jeff Wheeler is an amazing series, too!

futuristic-no
    survival- yes
    love story- yes (later in series)
    series- yes, 3 books total
    ya- yes

107. What is Divergent about? I loved Hunger games for its love story, does Divergent have that too?

• Caitlyn says:

Yeah, Divergent has a love story behind it too. It’s an interesting one. :)

• It is so great! I wasn’t expecting to like it but it’s my most favorite book now, the second didn’t let me down either! Here is the description from the back of the book. In Beatrice Prior’s dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can’t have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she’s chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she’s kept hidden from everyone because she’s been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves… or it might destroy her.

• I’m a sucker for the love story too! It doesn’t have to be the main storyline, but it has to be in there. ;) Divergent and Insurgent definitely have it! The love story is actually a little stronger in this series than in The Hunger Games. Definitely recommend it!

108. Caitlin says:

I keep refering back to this list whenever I finish a book. I go to the library and pull up your blog and start searching the catalog. Unfortunately, I think there may be a few people doing the same because 99% of the books on here are always checked out. Good thing I’m patient! ;)

• I know what you mean! I’m glad the list is helpful though!

• Barnes and Noble had a shelf called “if you’re missing the hunger games” and they practically had all of these books, now I keep going back to this same shelf they have other books that aren’t on the list too

109. There’s actually going to be a fourth book (releasing this year) in The Giver series. It’s called Son.

110. Caitlyn says:

Delirium! It’s a checks off everything on your list! It is amazing and a series. I cried so hard at the end that I couldn’t even think about the months until months later.

111. Cheyenne says:

Divergent and Insurgent by Veronica Roth are definetes to read after finishing the Hunger Games. Action, love story, futuristic(or past depending on how you look at it I guess), captivating and a world of factors each with a certain quality and one girl’s journey to overthrow what is so corrupt. Can’t wait for the 3rd!

112. What about The Old Kingdom Series: Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen, and Clariel by Garth Nix? Not futuristic and no revolt, but it gets a yes in every other category!

113. I’ve read Divergent! It’s an AMAZING book – I read it, immediately reread it, and can’t wait to start the next book! It will be a trilogy with the final book coming out next year, I believe. And in case anyone wants to know:
    futuristic- yes
    survival- yes, in an unknown environment (not the wilderness)
    girl protagonist- yes
    series- yes, the first in a trilogy
    ya- yes (I don’t know how the levels are determined)

(I would try to give a summary but I don’t want to accidentally give anything away!)

114. Melissa says:

Divergent was amazing, however, I haven’t started Insurgent yet because the last book doesn’t come out until next year. So, I like to read books that are all out and I don’t have to wait. I’m very impatient lol :) I love this site!!

115. Jakob Purcell says:

What about Gone by Michael Grant ??

116. Stardreamzzz says:

OMG i <3 uglies, maze runner, matched( not the 2nd one so much), barcode tattoo , found, the lightning thief, city of ember, and the graceling series ( im a book worm)
    and i really want to read divergant..:D

117. Just finished divergent and the second in the series – Insurgent. LOVED them both, however when I read them I didn’t know that the third didn’t come out until next year – UGH, I can’t wait!! I did the same thing with Delirium and its sequel, Pandemonium, and the third book is not out for that series either! lol oh well, I highly highly highly recommend both!

118. allison says:

Can you please tell me the other two books in the series following The Giver?

119. miriammidkiff says:

I’m really surprised no one has mentioned The Passage by Justin Cronin. There is a sequel being published this summer, and a screenplay has been written as well as movie rights bought. Can’t wait!

series- yes
    ya- no, but easy enough for young adults to read

120. Divergent and Insurgent by Veronica Roth are amazing books! I thoroughly enjoyed reading them and would recommend them to anyone who like the Hunger Games books!!!!!

121. Shana Foshe says:

The host by Stephanie Meyer it’s futuristic, survival based, adventure packed, has a love story, only one book so far, girl protagonist, and it’s a ya.

122. Aw you don’t have the mortal instruments on there….. BEST BOOKS EVER!!! They follow Clary, a 16 yo girl living in new york. On a night out at a club, she realizes a deep secret of her identity.

I’m so sad because book no.6 isn’t coming out until 2014!!!!!

123. The best book series ever is A wrinkle in time by Madeleine L’Engle.

124. The Maze Runner Triolgy is amazing. One of my favourite books i have ever read. The first was best, the second was really good and the third was good. It’s a must-read for the Hunger Game lovers. There is going to be another book about before the whole thing happened, and I am so looking forward to it. I can’t wait.

125. Delirium is an AMAZING book its based in a futuristic world where love is a disease and has to be cured it is SO GOOD! I highly recommend it!

126. I absolutely loved Divergent!!!! I fell in love with Tobias and Tris from the beginning. Just finished reading Insurgent. I am so depressed now cause the 3rd book doesn’t come out until the fall of 2013!:( on the second book of the Uglies series. Definitely not as good as Divergent but entertaining

127. Add “Delirium” to this list. An also “The Selection”. Both unreal, both, oh, so good and matching this category!

128. mar gavlik says:

is this an actual poster? would love to hang one of these in my school library.

• It is a jpg image. Right click on it and save it on to your computer. Then you can insert it into a program like word or photoshop and print it out. It won’t be poster size, but it will be large enough to see the titles.

129. ‘oryx and crake’ or ‘year of the flood’ by margaret atwood!

130. I tell everyone I know that if they like The Hunger Games they should read The Giver (listed above) and The Warrior Heir BY Cinda Williams Chima…put these two books together and you have The Hunger Games, in my opinion! Of the three series, I love The Heir Chronicles best! Just my two cents…

131. You guys have a seriously great site! Thank you so much!

132. wow! just read divergent and insurgent in a single day!! was sooooo addicted!!!!! i wud recommend the books to anyone only problem is is that we have to wait for the last book. thanks for the site! luv it!

133. I highly recommend the Chaos Walking series by Patrick Ness!

134. Would you mind if I used your image of the book titles on a page I’m creating for my library. I would say “Used with Permission by __” and link back to the webpage. Thanks!

135. Amber Taylor says:

I have read The Giver many times in my 30 years, starting in the second grade, and it seems that each time I recieve a different message and understanding. Love it!

136. The Delirium series by Lauren Oliver is AMAZING!!!!!! It’s so good! There are two books out, Delirium and Pandemonium. The third book Requim comes out Sping 2013. It has everything! Survival, a revolt, love, adventure packed and a girl protagonist!

137. Thank you for these book recommendations.! :) I’ve read the twilight series, hunger game series, maximum ride series & now im looking for more series to read. Please continue to post more books for “if you like _____” its really helpful. Thank you & God bless.!

138. mermaid fan says:

just got all 3 peter pan books and can’t wait to glue my nose to them after I do my homework, (falling asleep in bordom)

139. I don’t know if anyone has said this one yet but try Selection by Kiera Cass. This was a great book.

140. mermaid fan says:

I realy need a new name other than mermaid fan. my mom just got the hunger games movie and we are going to see it tonite, I hope it shows all her fire dresses.

141. so i know this was posted a while ago and i haven’t read through all the comments but another one you can add to this list is delium (1st in triology) pandemonium is also out!

series- yes, 3 books total
    ya- yes,

GREAT books! hope you get time to read them!

142. Heinlein’s Tunnel In the Sky is a LOT like the Hunger Games.

143. I do believe that you all would like to read Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card. There are a series of books by this author that feeds off of the first book Ender’s Game. Whereas the main character is a young boy, it has almost all of the other elements as Hunger Games. Try it, you won’t be able to put it down.

144. A great story of survival that takes place in what was formerly the United States, with a female protagonist, is The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan. It’s technically YA, but is pretty graphic and intense. It’s the first in a series of 3 books, and involves a small village surrounded by a fence that keeps out the “Unconsecrated,” or zombies. I couldn’t put it down.

145. Claire Goss says:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ADD THE I AM NUMBER FOUR (3 BOOK SERIES) AND THE PRETTY LITTLE LIARS SERIES (12 BOOKS i think….. NOT SO ACTION PACKED BUT AMAZING!!!!!!!)

146. i read uglies… it was a very good series… check out the trylle series… very good series about a girl who finds out she was switched at birth and that there is a whole hidden world out there that hse belongs to

147. Beverely weston says:

Another great one I read was UNDISCLOSED by jon mills

I read it this weekend as it showed up below i am number four

Story was much stronger. highly enjoyed it

148. I loved the chaos walking trilogy me and my friend read and both loved as much as the hunger games or even more read it !!,

149. Does anyone know what they mean by level?! Like what would be my level? Im in 7th grade but read as well as a 10th grader.

• The levels listed are the accelerated reader levels for the books. I’m not sure what level you would be, maybe you could look up the level of a recent book you have read to get an idea.

150. rystalka07@hotmail.com says:

I read the entire Uglies Series when I was in high school, ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE WHOLE SERIES, I hope it gains popularity in the way Hunger Games did, I said it when first read them that I would love for it to become a movie

151. Christin Riley says:

Great suggestions girls. I pinned this and didn’t realize that you were one of the creator of it. Hope life is going great.

152. I recommend the alliance by Gerald Lund is amazing more targeted an older young adult but I think any young adult would enjoy it. It’s a revolt led by a guy and gal in a government society.

And

Switched by Amanda hocking young readers beware there is language. But this book follows a teen girl who feels out of place and doesn’t belong but opens to a world she never dreamed of!

153. I am currently reading the Uglies series, and I love it!! I also LOVE Divergent, Matched, and Delirium.
    Some other books I enjoyed, that are not on the list, were The House Of NIght Series by P.C. Cast, and the Trylle Series by Amanda Hocking! You should check them out!

154. Id like to add Delerium series by Lauren Oliver, Enclave By Anne Aguierre, Under the never sky by Veronica Rossi, and Cinder by Marissa Meyer

155. Arena One is the first book in a new trilogy by Morgan Rice. Read it after the Hunger Games and couldn’t put it down. Now patiently waiting for the second. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13451182-arena-one

156. The Pendragon Series…Its 10 books and captivating!

157. Reece Devaney says:

ive read a few series and im young (13), but a good series would be the “the chronicles of ancient darkness”

futuristic- no, stone age, (tribes, clans)
    survival- all the way though (ITS THE STONE AGE!!!)
    adventure packed- yes
    contains a revolt- at most parts
    girl protagonist- no
    series- yes, 6 books total

158. I just read Divergent and Insurgent….they were the best books I have read in a while!!! I am so stuck on those books and having a hard time finding something to read…I am thinking about reading the Delirium series after reading this thread. Thanks for the info :)

159. Hey, I can’t believe no one added harry potter. It’s not exactly like the hunger games, and it’s not futuristic. But it’s a really great series! I’m reading them right now, and I’m on the 6th. :)

160. The mortal instruments, the infernal devices, divergent <3, across the universe, matched,Delirium all sooo good

161. Bailey Williams says:

i would highly recommend the Skinjacker Series by Neil Shusterman. It is about kids stuck in the inbtween of life and death. Great series!

162. annabutterfly says:

Enclave by Ann Aguirre is the first of a trilogy. Very good. Read it and Outpost the second in series. 3rd not out yet.

163. Ashfall and Ashen Winter by Mike Mullin…. Excellent and left me craving for the 3rd book! A definite must read-you wont be able to put it down!

164. Reblogged this on Lholg's Blog.

165. Do you have any personal favorites? There is a lot to choose from, I just finished reading the “LORIEN LEGACIES” they, are awesome, just waiting for the fourth book now :)

166. Delirium by Lauren Oliver :) Loved it!

167. Great list! The Giver series now has the 4th and final book out, just came out :)

168. Kerry O'D. says:

I can also highly recommend Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas. It’s a fantastic book about a female assassin who spent a year in prison and now must compete to win her freedom. Really well written and I just couldn’t put it down! It came out this summer and I’ve already read it twice.

futuristic- no (set in a made up kingdom/world)
    survival- yes
    love story- yes (love triangle, just beginning)
    adventure packed- yes
    contains a revolt- sort of, seems to be heading that way
    girl protagonist- yes
    series- yes, one book is out now plus there are 4 ebook prequel novellas available and more to come!
    ya- yes, but unsure of reading level

169. Has nobody read legend bu marie lu??! It is really good. Future-yes survival- yes love story – yes action packed- yes revolt- yes girl protagonist – yes series – yes 1 & 2 are out and 3 coming in january 2013.

170. Mary Evelyn says:

I just finished the Matched series by Ally Condie and it was absolutely amazing. it is very, very similar to the hunger games.
    futuristic.
    survival.
    action packed.
    girl protagonist.
    love story. (with two boys!)
    and there are three books in the series.

I thought I would never find a book to replace HG, but this series came pretty darn close.

171. Maria V Snyders Poison Study, Magic Study, Fire Study!

172. I recommend the Thursday Next series. The first book is called the Eyre Affair and is AMAZING!! I am going to finish the series over winter break but it’s off to a fantastic start!!

173. Victoria Brill says:

The selection by kiera cass

174. Read Uglies and I LOVED IT!!!! read it when i was nine so i think its a great book

175. Oldies but goodies- 1984 nand A Handmaid’s Tale. Both about survival in a futuristic world. More recent- Children of Men. Book was WAY better than the movie. Also futuristic- survival of the human race is uncertain due to sudden, widespread infertility.

176. Hmm it appears like your website ate my first comment (it was extremely long) so I
    guess I’ll just sum it up what I had written and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog.
    I too am an aspiring blog writer but I’m still new to the whole thing. Do you have any helpful hints for newbie blog writers? I’d really appreciate it.

177. The Maze Runner Trilogy blew my mind. I was obsessed with it for soo long afterwards. It is a love story and it does leave you at a cliffhanger at the end of every chapter throughout all of the books! Also, the Century series (Ring of Fire- book #1) is awesome!!! This also has a love story and cliff hangers. At first I didn’t think I would like it but I was soo wrong! These 2 series/trilogies are a must read for everyone!!!!!!

178. You should try the series Beautiful Creatures…. It’s absolutely impossible to put down. You really can’t stop reading them.

179. valerie d says:

Aa good series to read is the revenge of the shadow king the rise of the black wolf and the fall of the templar

180. Check out Delirium by Lauren Oliver as well! It’s a great series that follows all your checklist :)

181. Beautiful Creatures is a good series, Gone series by Michael Grant is also great, and dark eden was one of my favorites.

182. I’d definitely recommend the ‘Obernewtyn Chronicles.’
    futuristic: Yes.
    survival. Yes.
    action packed. In some of the books.
    girl protagonist. Yes
    love story. Yes
    and there are currently six books with a seventh coming out.
    It may take until the second book for you to really get into it but they are really good books/

183. I’m reading a sample on amazon of Ashes ashes right now I just started reading the first chapter and I’m already sucked in and want run to my libary right now! My only problem is I just finnished matched and the secound book is on hold and waiting for me at the library. I cant just ditch my book because its a series i have to keep the first book fresh in my mind for the. secound one.so I think I might buy ashes ashes on my kindle.and read them at the same time. Idk but I wonder if ashes ashes is a series. Unman I hope so by the way Im 13 and I’m a book worm

184. I drop a leave a response whenever I appreciate a article on a blog or I have something to
    contribute to the discussion. It’s a result of the fire displayed in the article I browsed. And after this post 25 Series to Read if you LOVE the Hunger Games! | 2busybrunettes. I was moved enough to post a comment :-P I do have 2 questions for you if you usually do not mind. Could it be simply me or do some of these comments look like they are coming from brain dead people? :-P And, if you are posting at additional sites, I would like to follow you. Could you list all of your shared sites like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

185. How does the reading level work / what does it mean? :)

• It’s the accelerated reader level. It just means grade level and month. (At least that’s what I’ve been told.) So if a book was 5.4, it means a 5th grader in the 4th month of school should be able to read it. Not that adults can’t enjoy it!

186. You girls might also enjoy “The Daughter of Smoke and Bone” and “The Days of Blood and Starlight” by Laini Taylor (1st and 2nd in trilogy), if you’d be interested in checking those out :) I adored reading them! Thanks for these lists!

187. I Am Number Four?!?!??

188. To add to this list::::::

The Immortal series total of 6 books by alyson Noel

The Riley Bloom series 4 books (you have to read these after the immortal series) by alyson Noel

Soul seekers series by alyson Noel
    ( currently 2 books new one comes out In may)

And the Mortal instruments series by Cassandra Claire (total of 5 books)

Absolute must reads!! I read all these books in a month time!

189. CITY OF EMBER AND THE GIVER FTW
    AND DONT FORGET INGO THT IS AN AMAZING BOOK
    HUNGER GAMES WAS LAME :D
    AND WHILE IM AT IT 1 DIRECTION SUCKS TOO ^ ^

190. I am a huge hunger games fan and loved reading birthmarked and the maze runner!!!!!!

191. The Giver series is AWESOME!, however to bring a correction there are FOUR books, not three. The Giver, Gathering Blue, The Messenger, & Son.

192. Thanks for your list, but I have questions with some of your revised list. While I like all the following books, I don’t think they belong in a list of dystopian, futuristic series with strong female characters for teens: Peak, Lightning Thief series, Peter and the Starcatcher series, Handmaiden’s Tale (adult). Some of those in your backup list would suit the list better.

193. can anyone tell me if the divergent, legend, maze runner, and bar code tattoo series, or trilogies are done already. Like all of the series is out i hate waiting for a sequel to come out the next year. PLEASE HELP! thanks

194. The Chemical Garden series. First book “Wither” second “Fever” third will be out this month “sever”

195. Ginger Kloska says:

The Matched series is AMAZING! It has all of the required qualities.

196. The Underland Chronicles, also by Suzanne Collins, is a must read series. And I’m suuuper picky and I loooovved Them.

197. I would highly recommend checking out the Fool’s Gold series by Jude Fisher. Sorcery Rising is the first book of 3. One of my favorite series of all time, contains a girl protagonist, a revolt/war, does have a bit of a love story but it’s not the main focus, much like the Hunger Games love story.

198. Great post! I love the Hunger Games. I would recommend AFTER THE FEAR by Rosanne Rivers. It’s about futureistic gladiators and has some romance, some dystopian, fighting and training etc. A great read.

199. Okay I think I have to read a lot of books now. I did love the hunger games and from all these books listed on top I have only read graceling.. which was indeed great by the way. Thanks for your suggestions!

200. Victoria says:

Across the Universe was one of the best series I’ve read. There’s revolt, and it takes place in a futuristic space setting.
    The love story was great.
    Also, the way the book was written, it switches perspective between a boy and a girl with each chapter. Though that can sometimes be cheesy, Beth Revis did a great job with it in this series.
    I love the books and wold recommend them to anyone.

201. thanks so much for this great list I will defo read multiple books out of this list and recommend this list to friends. This is the essence of the internet people helping each other and sharing interests.

202. Michelle says:

The Giver series now has a 4th book, Son. :)

203. I just started reading divergent tonight and already read 240 pages wich is about half the book its so good its already one of my favorite books!

204. This is wonderful, we always have students who ask for the very sort of thing! Thanks for sharing with us :)

205. Yvette Rivera says:

Most definitely add Eleftheria by Jade De Kelaita. The series of two now is a captivatingly quick read and has both a strong female lead in Elizabeth and equally a wholesome, powerful male lead in Johnathon.
    The first book can be found on barnesandnoble.com or amazon and the second is on smashwords.com as an Ebook.

206. I have just finished reading Birthmarked, and OMG it was amazing!!!! Fell in love with it!!!
    I also love the mortal instruments series, and the infernal devices series (kind of a prequel) they are my favourite books!!! The HG are truly brilliant!!!!! I’m looking forward to reading some of the books you have all mentioned, especially divergent!! I’ve made a list of must reads now :)

207. THE GIVER now has 4 books, FYI.
    SON cane out in October 2012 and wraps up the series! THE GIVER is an excellent book for class discussions in middle school!!

208. Lyndsey says:

You guys have got to read The Forsaken!!! It’s Like a combination of The Hunger Games and The Divergent Trilogy!!! It’s sooooo good!!! It has survival on an island, a love story, a futuristic nation and tons of twists with great characters!!!

209. THE HOST by Stephenie Meyer
    Melanie Stryder is one of few “wild” humans – rebels who have evaded the alien souls that have taken over the Earth. With her younger brother Jamie and the man she loves, Jared Howe, Mel is on the run from souls who hunt down host bodies for use. Souls are creatures that rely upon host bodies to survive. After insertion, they erase any mental presence of the being there prior and establish a claim over the body and mind. Earth is Wanderer’s ninth planet, and Mel is her ninth host body. Upon waking inside her new body, she is shocked not only by the vividness of human emotions, memories, and senses, but quickly learns that Melanie Stryder is not willing to give up the entirety of her mind.

series- sequel coming soon
    ya- yes, level 1.0 – 12.9

210. Young, #hipster, Portland author, #RGHauxley has created a great #BookForBoys #YoungAdult #Novel #Book #MarkFromMars . #HarryPotter meets #HitchhikersGuideToTheGalaxy . If your young man loves #DoctorWho #StarTrek #HungerGames #StarWars or #Sci-Fi in general, he will love #MarkFromMars a #Sci-Fi #Adventure .

Right now #MarkForMars can Pre Ordered at http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1669977079/the-interstellar-bestseller-tour-mark-from-earth Check out their video and the #InterstellarBestsellerBookmobile

Not only is the book great, the story of how the author is publishing it is #inspiring and very #21stCentury – #SelfPublishing #KickStarter financed #SelfPromotingBookTour across America.

211. veronica says:

No. “Across the Universe” is a Terrible book. Doesn’t even come place to “The Hunger Games” not even Close.

212. Katie Eggers says:

Eve by Anna Carey- obsessed with this series, one of the best reads ever!!!

series- yes, 3
    ya- yes, don’t know reading level

213. I am a huge fan of the The Hunger Games :)
    I also like Divergent and Percy Jackson series. I really want to read the Chaos Walking trilogy but it is difficult to find here in our country (I’m not familiar with the shipping and don’t have a credit card since I’m still young). Well, I’ve checked out the leading bookstores. Fortunately, I found the first two books. Unfortunately, not the third book. The first and the second are amazing… and I heard the third is totally awesome. It left me hanging T.T I’m desperate to read Monsters of Men… pdf, doc, ebook will do… just to know how it would end!

BTW, since I still can’t find a copy, I’ve decided read some other and I really find this post (and also the comments) helpful! Thanks guys! :D

214. I would describe the setting in The Giver as dystopian; definitely not utopian.

215. Michelle Carlson says:

Unwind- book 1

216. Ashley Clem says:

The Selection by Kiera Cass is a great read for anyone who loved Hunger Games and The Princess Academy. 35 girls from different provinces are thrown into an arena-the royal castle-to compete for the princes’s love. While the girls aren’t killing each other, the girls are not afraid to do whatever it takes to win-some more than others.This book captivated me from the moment I picked it up to the moment I read the last line. It is part of a trilogy-the third book,The One, comes out May 6,2014-that tells the story of a young girl’s battle within herself to discover who she is and what she wants. I recommend it for anyone looking to be swept up into a wonderful story!!!!! :) :) :)

• I loved the Princess Academy (and anything else by Shannon Hale!). I didn’t know there was going to be a third book! -Julia

• Ashley Clem says:

I almost died when I got to the end of the second one. She definitely knows how to write a good cliffhanger. I don’t know what I would do if there wasn’t going to be a third book!! :)

217. Isabella says:

also the trilogy of The False Prince is amazing so far it’s definitely worth reading

218. Lynnette (gradndaughter) says:

read the beautiful creatures series! they’re so good!

219. Rhondadee says:

I didn’t go through every comment, but you need to read Project Ele. Fits all of your criteria. There are 4 books and a fifth to come soon.

220. Reading Fiend says:

I didnt look at all the comments so if someone already put this, sorry…. His Dark Materials it is a series by Philip Pullman.
    futuristic-no (or i dont think so)
    survival-yes
    love story-no (but really strong friendships… and i havent finished the last one)
    adventure packed- yes
    contains a revolt- kind of (there isnt really a government in Lyra’s world the Church is the law… but in later books they interduce “the Authority”
    girl protagonist- yes (but is joined by a dude in book 2&3
    series- yes (3 books “The Golden Compass”;”The Subtle Knife”;”The Amber Spyglass”
    YA-Yes, reading levels- 7.1(1); 6.2(2); 6.7(3)

221. Switched, torn and ascend. They are a trilogy by Amanda hocking. Very good. Also uglies is the first book in a trilogy. The other books are pretties and specials. Also very good books.

222. Seekingthenextgoodone says:

I just finished The Park Service Trilogy. Loved it. It’s in the perspective of a 15 year old boy, I am a 33 year old woman and I still couldn’t put them down!

223. Hailey Pearson says:

Tiger’s Curse by Colleen Houck!!!!

224. Meghan McCann says:

The Razorland Trilogy! Honestly amazing, her style of writing adapts with the character as it is written from the characters point of view so beginning feels like easy children like read, by end of book one I NEEDED book 2 and by the end of that I couldn’t believe I had to wait for the final books delivery. An amazing read and truly recommended to Hunger Games Fans

225. The Selection Series by Kiera Cass
    series- yes, 3 books total
    ya- yes

226. any updates??

227. katherine says:

love the white giraff!!! also there is a series

228. the eleventh plague is an amazing book so far, i really think u would enjoy it

Trackbacks

1. [...] is a short synopsis of the first books I have read. There is also a link on below of a great list 2 Busy Brunette’s put [...]

2. [...] outlines the elements of dystopian fiction, they were highlighting ones that were already popular. There was a list compiled by 2 Busy Brunettes that is a great resource, but I wanted to expand the list beyond the 7 traits they identify and include books with male [...]

3. [...] 25 Books to Read if You Love the Hunger Games: Same idea to the previous bullet, read the update at the bottom as well. [...]

4. [...] Twilight series (team Edward), followed by Hunger Games (team Katniss), and now a whole slew of dystopian futuristic novels that have come out. I love it. Yes, every single one of them are usually about one girl who [...]

5. [...] earlier posts.  Just thought it might be helpful to anyone looking for something new to read. http://2busybrunettes.com/2012/03/23/25-series-to-read-if-you-love-the-hunger-games/ Share this:TwitterFacebookEmailPrintStumbleUponPinterestLike this:LikeBe the first to like [...]

6. [...] YA Series, which is only a trilogy, called The Uglies by Scott Westerfeld.  This trilogy was on a list that recommended books for people who enjoyed reading The Hunger Games, which I happened to read in college in my young [...]

7. [...] 2busybrunettes.com via Becky on [...]

8. […] A post I can get on board with… […]

9. […] The Hunger Games serious was phenomenal that I didn’t know what to do when it was over! Thank goodness I am not the only one who felt the same finishing this series; I found a plethora of websites that offer lists of books of what to read next if you loved the series just as much as I did.http://2busybrunettes.com/2012/03/23/25-series-to-read-if-you-love-the-hunger-games/ -Enjoy! […]

10. quotes relationships…

25 Series to Read if you LOVE the Hunger Games!…

11. [...] 25 Series to Read if You Love The Hunger Games (2 Busy Brunettes) [...]

12. [...] for new books to read.  A little over a year ago, I was on Pinterest and discovered a link to 25 series to Read if You Love the Hunger Games. I’d already read The Uglies series by Scott Westerfield (thanks to the recommendation of a [...]

13. [...] This post: 25 Series to Read if you Love The Hunger Games, by 2 Busy [...]

14. [...] this book has been hitting quite a few lists of books you’d enjoy if you liked The Hunger Games. That meant I at least had to see what all the fuss was [...]

15. sondages rémunérés par virement…

25 Series to Read if you LOVE the Hunger Games!…

16. devis demenageur toulouse…

25 Series to Read if you LOVE the Hunger Games!…

17. [...] ~~Pin it - where to after the Hunger Games, why here! [...]